Monday, November 29, 2010

TYPE WITH ME CONFUSION

I have not been writing on my blog for a while but I had some topics that I wanted to write about like experiencing Type With Me. I will describe the approach I took and what are the things I would change if I work with with Type With Me again.

I added my message to the Type With Me file that was created for the purpose of writing a thank you letter to one of the guest speakers in our class. I didn't feel very comfortable having to type directly into the online message file so my approach was to write it on a word document and then copy and paste it. I guess this is fine, even though when you look at the recording you can see how everybody's ideas were developing and mine just suddenly appeared. 

We had some time allocated during class to edit the group's messages and condense them into one letter. It was chaos at the beginning, since everyone had different ideas and it was hard to come to an agreement of who will be in charge of which part. Everybody just started editing at the same time and words were disappearing and appearing on the screen. The good thing is that somehow we managed to do it successfully and it was a fun activity.

These are some things that are important to consider when using Type With Me, based on the experience I had:
  • To avoid chaos, when you work with a group, especially online, you should state very clear instructions before hand.
  • Explain the purpose and expectations of the document.
  • Divide the document in sections and assign each section to a group.
  • While the idea is collaborating all together, you shouldn't have everybody editing at the same time.
  • Work on some structure for the ideas that will be included in the document.
I really enjoyed my experience with Type With Me and I will definitely use it in the future. This is a great tool for collaboration but I need to explore more how I can use it properly with a group. I just wrote a few tips that I consider important but I need to reflect and try using the tool a little bit more.

1 comment: